BYS 2020 Video Recap: Superyacht Refit & Trends
The Balearic Islands are a focal point for Superyachts. An ideal cruising ground located in the heart of the Mediterranean with easy sailing access to everywhere in-between Gibraltar and Valletta. The Balearics also have a huge number of high-quality resources and refit services available for Superyachts.
During the Balearic Yacht Show in 2020 we had a line-up of quality conferences covering various topics around Superyachts, especially related to the Balearic Islands. We had a combination of local and international experts sharing their insights on the superyacht sector and what the future holds.
Why refit in the Balearic Islands (English)
The Balearics are one of the key destinations for Superyacht refits. During the previous year, shipyards in Mallorca remained at 100% occupancy, not stopping work even during the toughest months of the pandemic.
This webinar, hosted by Ralph Dazert, Director of Marketing Intelligence from SuperYacht Times, looks at refitting in the Balearics from 3 different perspectives: Yacht Owners, Shipyards and Suppliers. Joined by Ralph are
- Victor Perez, Commercial Director at Astilleros de Mallorca
- Toni Salom, The President of the Balearic Marine Cluster
- Carlos Albons, Production Director of STP Shipyard Palma; William Kaye, Captain of the M/Y Coral Ocean
- Rupert Savage, Commercial Director at GYG group.
Insurance and liability in the refit sector (English)
This session hosted by Superyacht Group Chairman Martin Redmayne, discusses the risks and responsibilities of the refit sector from an insurance and liability perspective. This panel of shipyard and insurance experts tackle the key question; what can we improve or change to reduce liabilities. Speakers included:
- Diego Colon, General Manager of Astilleros de Mallorca
- Paul Miller, Director of Underwriting at Hiscox MGA Ltd
- Imme Schmidts, Director of Pantaenius Spain
- Jose Miguel, Director of Artai in the Balearic Islands.
Safety & Security; Changes in the Superyacht Industry (English)
Security is a topic which has boomed over the last year. With many changes in the industry, this panel looks at how we can ensure the safety of crew as well as owners whilst cruising in the Balearic Islands. This webinar is hosted by Maeve Dempsey from Superyacht radio, with a panel of expert speakers from marinas, shipyards and services:
- Avnish Dhall, CEO at ptw shipyard
- Malen Llompart, Marketing Director at Alcudia Mar
- Jordi Ariet, Chief Operating Officer at MB92.
Superyacht Design; Changes in Trends (English)
Now more than ever, yacht owners are leaning more towards longer-range boats in order to get away for longer periods in a safe, isolated space. Mobility has become more restricted since the pandemic and as a result, creative minds in the yachting industry are coming together to craft new solutions. In this webinar hosted by Rhea Rouw from Yachting International Radio, we are joined by panellists Arturo Lope, Executive Head Chef on La Datcha 77 and Álvaro Aparicio, Yacht Designer and Finalist in the Young Designer of the Year Awards.
Charter Trends in the Balearic Islands (Spanish)
The Balearics are a popular destination for charter, and it brings many benefits to the so called ‘blue economy’. In this session we cover marketing techniques for charter companies, legal aspects and requirements and problems which could be solved with the help of local institutions. Panellists include:
- Cristina Sastre Fallet, Manager of CRUESA
- José María Jiménez, President of APEAM Charter Commission
- León von Ondarza, Lawyer and Director of LVOF Layers
- Pablo Riubal, Founder of Boat Jump.
Fiscal opportunities and concerns in the Superyacht Industry (English)
In this conference a panel of fiscal experts from key yachting locations across Europe, come together to share their insights and advice on tax concerns in the Mediterranean. Topics also cover EU harmonisation and commercial operations with ownership schemes. Hosted by Martin Redmayne from Superyacht Group, we are also joined by the following speakers:
- Alison Vassallo, Partner of Fenech and Fenech Advocates in Malta
- Miguel Ángel Serra, partner at Albors Galiano Portales
- Sara Ammannati, Operations Manager at SOS Yachting SRL
- Jennifer Timinis, Communications Director at OCEDA Yachtand
- Freddy Desplanques, partner at Stream and deals.